Old May 18th 19, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Vertical Card Compass Interference?

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:18:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 10:46:29 AM UTC-4, Curt Lewis - 95 wrote:
Vertical Card Compass Interference?

I'm installing an LXNAV S100 top center in my panel with FLARM, ADS-B and GPS antennas at back/top of instrument shroud. I have a PAI-700 Vertical Card Compass mounted now on top of shroud about 2/3 back from front. As it sits now it would be only ~4" from antennas at rear. If you go by manufacturers' recommendations on anything electrical everything should be at least 3 feet from everything else .

1 - Does anyone have any empirical evidence of antenna interference specifically from this type of compass?

I could move the compass forward but it gets closer to the S100.

2 - Does anyone have any empirical evidence of Vario/Flight Computer interference from this type of compass?

Note: I am less concerned about the effect on the compass vs the compass effect on the other stuff

Thanks all.

Curt - 95

That compass is not an electronic device. It's just a swiveling magnet. Won't affect anything else.

Just curious, how many of you actually use a compass? I flying the mountains not flat land, but the only time I can remember referencing a compass was a vertical card to see the runway direction. I have two flux compasses in instruments and I tried to license the glider without, but one minimum equipment list.