Old December 18th 04, 09:32 PM

Blueskies wrote:
"Maule Driver" wrote in message

m...
In gliders the mantra was, "land upwind and upslope but upslope is

more
important. Down slope is to be avoided."

The challenge is to understand just how steep an approach is

required and
how much energy is required to flare properly for steeper slopes.

It's not
a minimum speed approach and you must have enough pitch authority

to round
out. Much more than one would originally think for steeper

slopes.

The rollout or skid will be much shorter which is always good. And

it's
easier to hit a spot. Every foot of ground covered after touchdown

runs the
risk of hitting something you didn't see. I routinely drove the

nose in the
ground with the brake to minimize rollouts over unknown ground.

But for moderate slopes, my experience is that upslope is strongly

preferred
even with a moderate tailwind.

When landing upslope judging the moment to flare is also harder...it

looks like you are just above the ground but you
will still be high...

Do what I did. Knowing that some of my flying would be onto and off
topdressing airstrips I found instructors who had been topdressing
pilots and learnt from them.
I noticed in a post further back some-one was debating the idea of
landing downhill.
Bad idea.
You not only have the aircraft speed but also the weight and the
downhill slope and nothing to really slow you.
landing uphill is not only a good idea it is also the safest