Old February 3rd 18, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Air Mass (Blue dot) on Butterfly

On Friday, 2 February 2018 15:27:52 UTC+2, JS wrote:
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 11:14:45 PM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
On Friday, 2 February 2018 05:54:50 UTC+2, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Just wondering if the users Air-avionics Butterfly, find the air mass measurement helpful (Blue dot)? Do you find this measurement more accurate and less susceptible to gusts? this data v the vario data? Are you using this data instead of the vario derived Netto?

I use inertial almost exclusively while gliding (80-85% VAM). Nothing beats blazing under cloud at 100 kts and seeing that you fly trough steady 4..5 kt thermal while variometer needles are all over the place.

During thermalling I find traditional variometer still useful as you cannot totally ignore horizontal gusts and windshear, which TE vario shows.

I use the Air-Glide audio for most of the flight, but don't look at the the blue dot enough to comment. What's used the most on the display are wind (excellent) and TAS in cruise (important). Believe the VAM mix is somewhere around 60%.
For the gusts Krasw mentions, it seems that if its late in the day and thermals are broken, I'll switch audio to the ClearNav running on 100% electronic TE. But perhaps that's just trying to blame something else for me being tired/rubbish/etc.
Jim

I used to have Glide S with good TE probe, but I'm now installing it to next glider using static ports/electronic compensation, mainly to experiment what happens. I have had good experience with electronic compensation on every glider that has used it. It tells you same thing as TE probe, difference is just mathematics (if static/TE probes are ok).