Old August 10th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

Default Right of Way in the pattern?

"Kingfish" writes:

Had this happen on Sunday up in Ontario. We were flying into Muskoka
(a non-towered field) in the Pilatus and were "cleared" in by
Canadian FSS. (We were IFR but in good VMC wx) We enter on the right
downwind to Rwy 18 [...]

It would be wise to review our rules about operating at uncontrolled
aerodromes:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/pu...AC/4-1.htm#4-5

According to the current CFS, or even the CYQA approach plate, the
circuit direction is standard for both runways, so you were in the
wrong for joining a right downwind. It's surprising that the FSS
person manning the MF radio didn't remind you.

This does not address your specific question about right-of-way. I
believe those rules are the same as in the states: landing/lower beats
departing/higher, unpowered beats powered, and so on. CAR 602.19.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/Re.../Part6/602.htm

- FChE