Old August 11th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

Default Right of Way in the pattern?

everyone forgets.. at least in the US,
FSS does separate traffic aka ATC "clearances", they just "relay"

BT

"ET" wrote in message

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Had this happen on Sunday up in Ontario. We were flying
into Muskoka (a
| non-towered field) in the Pilatus and were "cleared" in by
Canadian
| FSS. (We were IFR but in good VMC wx) We enter on the
right downwind to
| Rwy 18 and hear another acft on freq - apparently he's NE
of the field
| entering on the left base. We figure we're quite a bit
faster than the
| 172 and should reach final first. Turns out we're both on
opposite
| bases at the same altitude at which point my partner says
we're lower
| and faster and we procede to turn final. Well, the guy in
the 172 gets
| a bug up his ass and is whining to FSS that he had to take
"evasive
| action" to avoid us - not even close - and makes some
comment about
| calling the RCMP (like they actually have jurisdiction
here?). I know
| the rule about the acft on final having right of way, but
neither of us
| had reached that point yet, and both acft were at the same
altitude on
| opposite bases. Who had the ROW?

Jim Macklin wrote:
Left traffic is standard, seems you were in the wrong
pattern at an uncontrolled airport.

"Chris G." wrote in news:44db7e1f$0$17980$892e7fe2
@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Is this true in Canada as well as the USA?

Chris

I'm sure we will get a canadian pilot or 2 that can tell us, but CYQA IS
on the US Lake Huron chart. If it was right traffic, it would likely
indicate so on the chart just as it would for the nearby US airports for
the benefit of US pilots who may wander that way.

Most public use airports in the US also have a segmented circle
indicating traffic patterns to help keep folks who choose not to do any
research about the airports they are choosing to land at.

Funny think is, even if the OP was correct, they could very well have
been "dead" to rights, and taken another pilot with them.

Now, i'm just a lowly student pilot, but I've been taught to call ~ 10
miles out when approaching an uncontrolled field, announce my intentions
and ask for traffic advisories. If you're not sure of the traffic
pattern, then ask at that point if you can raise anyone. ....

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams