Old November 18th 03, 08:26 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: PC flight simulators
From: "Sierk Melzer"
Date: 11/18/03 12:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

I don't think such a thing exists. Not even the most expensive military or
commercial simulators fall under this definition. For example today it is
AFAIK impossible to simulate post-stall airflow in real time "with total
accuracy" on any computer

Yes. It is a chaos theory problem that has to this date not been solved. But
Dr.Mandelbrot of IBM has made progress and hopefully we will have a solution
soon. When Einstein was dying someone asked him what he would ask god when he
got to heaven, Einstein answered,"Well I think god will have all the answers to
relativity. But I don't think he will have all the ansers to Chaos Theory".
And airflow falls under chaos theory as do whirlpools. To give you some idea of
the diffficulty of the problem, the most powerful super computers working for
a full year could only plot whirlpool or air eddy patterns over a 30 second
period. That is one reason why we can't yet predict weather with any high
degree of certainty or post stall airflow in real time.. Let's all wish Dr.
Mandelbrot luck.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at: