Old December 10th 03, 11:36 PM
Don Johnstone

I must point out that using the words 'speed' and 'Astir'
in the same sentence is misuse of the english language.
:-)

At 22:42 10 December 2003, Mark wrote:
I guess I'm qualified to answer this one. I own one,
although it is a
II not a IIB. The difference is basically a longer
fuselage to
accomodate longer pilots.

I have about 40hrs in mine. I'd only had a couple of
short flights in
a Club Libelle, a flight or three in Pilatus, and a
a couple of
flights in a Twin Astir before jumping in the Speed.

I should preface this with the fact that mine has winglets
fitted, and
I have not flown it without.

Take-off.
Be awake when aero-tow launching. Set Flaps full negative
and pull
into +2 once you can feel some aileron control coming
on. In the first
part of ground roll , use rudder and if you can help
it, little
aileron to keep wings level.
Once you mastered this , the rest is a piece of cake.
Make sure the
tow plane uses a long rope. Short ropes mean more turbuence
from the
tug, and prop wash will hit you early in the take-off
roll. You don't
want that....trust me.

Flying

Maybe the winglets make a big difference. i don't know.
However,
anyone who has flown mine lands with big smile on their
face. It's a
great performing glider, and I have similar climb rates
to other
gliders on the feild. Don't thermal too slow. About
48-52 knots is
good for me. Where the name Speed disAstir came from
eludes me.

Landing.

Landing is a dream. Follow the Flight manual and you
won't go wrong.
Full Flap at end of downwind, use brakes sparingly
close to the ground
as full flap, full brake will make for an early (and
vertically fast)
arrival

Would I buy another? If I could find a IIB in good
condition, and
funds were an issue I would not hesitate. You will
pay about US$10000
less than an equivalent performing glider.

................and yes, it's a bitch to rig.

Cheers

Mark

Owain Walters wrote in message news:...
I would consider something else. Speed Astir II's
are
not only misleading with their name, it is also one
of the worst looking gliders around (bar the PW-5
of
course).

At 05:06 10 December 2003, Btiz wrote:
define 'novice'.. if you have any time in 'high performance'
gliders.. then
have fun... it's a great glider.. they did not call
it 'speed' for it's
looks..

any consistent flying in glass birds and you should
be able to handle the
Speed Astir..

BT

'Flyhighdave' wrote in message
I'm a novice glider pilot thinking of a Speed Astir
II B. Any thoughts on

this
aircraft?
Thanks!