Old July 15th 04, 04:55 AM
Dave Jacobowitz

Ah! Guessing. I had not thought about that approach. It's interesting
that they can do this estimation and that for the most part it works
pretty well. I mean, at least in the strikes seem to clump up.

I do believe that ground-base strike measuring equipment used for
forecasting and storm tracking can better isolate the position of
lightning strikes -- but in that case, they *do* have the luxury of
spreading out their sensors.

thanks!
-- dave j

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message ...
In a previous article, (Dave Jacobowitz) said:
But how do you get distance? All I can think of is having multiple

I'm pretty sure they guess the distance based on the strength. So a very
strong strike will show as closer than it really is, and a weak one will
show further away.