Old February 12th 04, 10:22 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On 12 Feb 2004 22:04:13 GMT, 362436 (Ron) wrote:

One of my friends who flew slatted/non slatted wing F-4s and also F-15As

at
Holloman, told me at medium altitudes, he thought a non slatted F-4 was
actually a little bit faster than an F-15A.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

That would be a hard call, but I doubt it. Certainly top speed for an
LES version of the F-4E would be lower than a non-slat (and range
would be lower because of the foamed tanks after LES conversion.)

But, I'd bet that with the cleaner airframe overall, the Eagle would
have the edge as well as the bigger engines. Certainly sustainability
of airspeed during manuever would be no-contest in favor of the F-15.

Might be a question of what he meant by "faster"--higher cruise speed?
higher top end? sub-sonic or super? clean or typical load? missiles or
not? etc. etc.

Now, an RF-4....

Weasel, super sonic 100 feet off the ground.