Old September 18th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default sunlight readable iphone

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 8:09:11 PM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Good point. It looks like the Fire Stick only does landscape. I don't know if there is any app which would enforce a rotation during the mirroring process.

Does the Fire Stick do portrait? Seems like most of the devices built for TV do not. In other words, if I have my HDMI display in portrait orientation (TV turned sideways), and my app on the phone is in portrait orientation, do I see the correct thing? What many of them do it show a portrait image sized down to fit upright on a landscape (TV) display. For almost all TV use that is what you want, but in a glider it is not.

All it would take is to have the app (XCSoar?) lock in portrait mode and tell the interface it is in landscape. The HDMI interface and further on couldn't care, but it respects what the app says. App says it's portrait, so the interface says I'll squish you onto a landscape screen. You could probably prevail upon the XCSoar developers to do this. I use iGlide and I doubt they will add this.

There is another problem with a Fire Stick type of implementation: the encoding - IP - decoding delay is significant, enough to keep the mirrored display behind a disconcerting amount. For that reason, you really want a fast serial interface dumping the screen contents to the mirrored screen frame buffer, if the device can't have a true HDMI output.