Old March 24th 18, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Gunner

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 10:00:07 AM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 05:19 24 March 2018, jfitch wrote:
On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 8:40:29 AM UTC-7,

wrote:
Separately from the discussion about lenses, that FAA brochure is

conflat=
ing binocular vision and depth perception in general. Binocular vision

is
=
just one of many ways that our eye-brain system perceives depth,

and it is
=
only effective up to a distance of 6 feet or so. It is not of much
relevan=
ce to landing an aircraft.

Lack of binocular vision didn't seem to bother Wylie Post.

We need an AME to weigh in on this one. I once flew with an airline
captain who had lost one eye and the hearing in one ear, but was
still flying as a captain with an FAA demonstrated ability waiver.

RO

the FAA website guide for AME clearly states:

the Examiner must counsel the applicant that use of contact
lens(es) for monovision correction is not allowed. The Examiner must note in Item 60 that this counseling has been given. Examples of unacceptable use include:

The use of a contact lens in one eye for near vision and in the other eye for distant vision (for example: pilots with myopia plus presbyopia).
The use of a contact lens in one eye for near vision and the use of no contact lens in the other eye (for example: pilots with presbyopia but no myopia)

I know there are medical exceptions given to those who may have restricted vision in one eye. But that would require a medical and a waiver issued by the FAA. We self certify. This is only a heads up to those who wish to have eye surgery to correct vision problems.