Old September 22nd 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Kawa rough landing?

The Arcus M prop is very much bigger than the 26E prop. I have always assumed that is why it has a higher prop out and stopped sink rate.

I practised prop out landings in my 26E with no drama. I have never practised them in my Arcus, but on one occasion the engine failed to start; as usual I had committed to start at 1,000 ft over a landable field, and I landed in it safely without drama. (When the engine starts as normal my maximum height loss from starting to put the prop up is 100 ft).

In the Arcus there is an automated system for lowering the prop when you turn the ignition off to stop the engine. Apart from the one time the engine didn't start I have never tested whether the sink rate with the prop out and stopped is as bad as quoted.