Old January 17th 05, 01:14 AM
BTIZ

From the FAA FAQ File, Revision #20, April 6, 2004.
QUESTION: I have reviewed your question in which you asked whether a private
pilot may receive compensation while towing gliders, in accordance with the
new § 61.113(g).

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.113(g); The answer is no, a private pilot may not receive
compensation for towing a glider.

The intent, and the wording of the § 61.113(g), was to permit a private
pilot who meets the requirements of § 61.69 of this part to ". . . act as
pilot in command of an aircraft towing a glider" for the purpose of logging
pilot in command (PIC) time. The new rule was never intended to conflict
with the FAA's long standing legal interpretations and policies on
compensation for private pilots. And the wording of the § 61.113(g) only
addresses the issue that permits a private pilot to ". . . act as pilot in
command of an aircraft towing a glider" for the purpose of permitting a
private pilot to log pilot in command time. As you recall, the wording of
the old § 61.69 permitted a private pilot to act as a PIC but was moot on
logging the time. The § 61.113(g) was issued to correct it.

However, we agree the wording of the § 61.113(a) may be confusing. In the
next go-around on correcting some of the wording mistakes, we have recorded
it as a needed correction to conform the intent and the wording of §
61.113(g).

"Jackal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have or know of a place to find a valid interprtaion of
61.113? Can a US Private Pilot legaly tow a glider for compensation?