Old December 30th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Steve L.[_1_]

Default How to hover

Hello, what are the control inputs required in a hover in an ideal
situation, what I am trying to figure out is what are you doing in a
no-wind situation to hover.

There's no other good answer to your question except: "The correct ones."

I'm not being sarcastic, its just that your question is like asking "how to
I ride a bicycle."

I like this comparison. You can do both things only if you do not need
to think about it.

Maybe the original poster is confused about the theoretical basics. If
you have ideal (theoretical) conditions you don't need to do anything.
But this cannot happen in real life.
If the slightest disturbance occurs (and if there are no external - like
wind gusts - at all, the heli produces its own - always) the helicopter
will move into one direction.
Normal, simple helicopters then return to their initial position, and
overshoot this position by more than the initial disturbance. This
dynamic instability is inherent to helicopters with the main rotor
center of thrust above the center of gravity and the rotor disc trying
to keep its angle to the mast.