Old July 1st 03, 04:31 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

"AWV" wrote in message
Hi,
Got a little Sonerai that runs a VW 1835cc motor with a Great Plains
alternator that runs on the Flywheel end of the crank. I had a homemade
rectifier regulator that is giving problems. I am thinking that maybe

there
could be an off the shelf automotive type regulator/rectifier that would
suite for this purpose? I tried talking to a number of local spares shops
and automotive auto electricians, but no success.

The basic specs a
1. Two wires come from the alternator.
2. Voltage between the two wires vary between 25VAC and 40VAC depending on
RPM.
3. Also Voltage between each individual wire and ground is between 12.5VAC
and 20VAC depending on RPM.

I have found the test instructions on the Great Plains web site and all

that
tests OK.

Any ideas on what regulator/rectifier would work for this scenario?
And also how to connect it?
Regards
Andre

I am certain that one of these will do it for you:

http://mikes.automated-shops.com/cgi..._prod.html?p_p

beware the line wrap. The two yellow wires connect to your two wires coming
from your alternator. The red wire goes to battery "+" and the black wire
goes to battery "-". Bolt it to some metal part of the airplane for a heat
sink. You can get these at most any snowmobile or jetski shop.