Old August 1st 03, 02:04 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 01 Aug 2003 04:08:54 GMT, (Teacherjh) wrote:

Well, there's no such requirment for a hood either - the only required pilot is
the PIC. As long as the PIC can see out, you can have a trained hamster under
the hood manipulating the controls.

I think what you are saying is that there is no requirement for a second
pilot if the person flying is wearing a hood.

If that is what you are saying, I would disagree. 91.109(b) is pretty
clear in requiring a second pilot if the person flying is wearing a hood:

===============
(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight
unless--
(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at
least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings
appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

In addition, numerous FAA Chief Council legal opinions have upheld this
interpretation.

Now so far as the trained hamster wearing a hood, the regulation does say
"person" and I would not consider a trained hamster to be a "person" :-))