Old September 5th 04, 04:20 PM
Bob Miller

We had an "Iceman" in the (O-360) Mooney for a couple of years. The
instrument worked very well and detected the ice right when it was
starting to form. For education, we tried letting the ice build up
but at cruise power settings, the Lyco O-360 seems pretty resistant.
We removed the indicator and sold it to a Skylane owner for reasons
unrelated to its performance. If I had a Skylane, it would be more
important to me

I don't think any gauge will prevent carb ice but I have a Lamar
Iceman instrument that is supposed to detect it by way of a probe in
the carb. Light passes across a gap and if the light transmission is
occluded, it signals that there's ice in the carb. Or the literature
says it does. I had it installed and to this day I don't know if it
works.