Old December 25th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jan R

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

Op 12/25/2019 om 20:26 schreef Roy B.:
Jan:
While I am not an expert on these rules, I note that this was an Out and Return distance record that would have used a start and finish line (to make sure that the finish altitude was within 1000m of the start). Would not the "soaring performance" have ended at the finish line crossing and not at the landing? Why is time of landing (or any rule violation) after the record performance is completed relevant to validity of the record claim?
ROY

Hi Roy, if you claim a record you have to sign the following statement:

I certify that this flight was conducted in accordance with the FAI
Sporting Code and with (1) all operating
limitations established by the aircraft manufacturer, (2) any more
restrictive operating limitations
imposed by national airworthiness regulations of the civil aviation
authority of the country of registration,
and (3) airspace regulations where the flight took place.
Signature of pilot
.................................................. ....................
Date ..................................

It says "this flight". That means from the moment that the plane starts
to roll at its own power til the moment it stops on the ramp.

If the law says that you have to land before a given time and you did
not, you were not legal and you can not possibly sign the above
statement. It is as simple as that.

Of course, the FAI could leave out the entire statement and hold the
view that a record is a record. That would also not be fair, because it
would benefit people which are prepared to follow the most illegal way's.

It is not my goal to have a record withdrawn. My goal is that every
pilot is judged evenly. There for every OO must know that he is expected
to lie under these circumstances and co sign the claim!
Of course, the next question will be: how many seconds to late is to
late? The "airspace regulations where the flight took place" are quite
clear on that point.