Old September 8th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Declared first emergency last week

In article 0,
EventHorizon wrote:

In discussion with my partner, we felt we did almost everything
correctly. We did not panic, we did not hesitate to declare the
emergency, we quickly agreed on roles and everything went smoothly. We
never really felt scared about the situation (a power failure might have
felt different!). When the situation first presented itself I thought
about flying to over the airport and cutting power, but I felt it would
be better not to have a guaranteed engine failure. We both felt this was
the less-risky way to handle the situation. We sort of stood there
saying to ourselves "we can't believe we just had an emergency!". It was
the first one for both of us in more than 20 years of flying each.

Great writeup!

I agree, from your story it sounds like you did everything perfectly.
You stayed calm, used good CRM, looked at your options, and properly
executed the best one. Can't get better than that.

Thanks very much for posting. I hope that if/when I have a true
in-flight emergency I can do as well.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth