Old April 17th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Should I be scared -- C172 over Gross

gliderguynj wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:53 am, tman inv@lid wrote:
I'm thinking through many of the factors, and it is only a "little" over
gross, only on the first hour or so of the trip. What else should I be
aware of? Am I dangerous?

There's safe, and there's legal. If you take passengers up over gross
as PIC....you've busted a rule or two. If you've posted about it here
and still do it.....

Then there's ethical...

Should you announce to the pax that the airplane is being operated
outside of the manufacturer's limits, with possible consequences explained?

I see one side of the coin where all pax are licensed pilots, the PIC
shows the W&B info to all involved, and all involved make individual
decisions to get in, or not, based on full awareness of possible
outcomes. Still not legal, but...

The other side is allowing unsuspecting and unknowing people, who
believe the PIC is fully trustworthy, to board a known out of limits
airplane.

No way, no how, am I ever going put one foot on the slippery slope of
the second case.