Old February 27th 20, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Crazies At The Gliderport

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 12:16:38 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 9:54:24 AM UTC-8, danlj wrote:
On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 1:11:06 PM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
Soaring magazine had an article a while ago summarizing a crash involving a dog in flight. Basically the dog was such a distraction that the pilot didn't notice spoilers open on tow, or off tow, or at all until impacting the ground. It was 1 pilot 1 dog in a 2 place glider. Maybe dog on lap of passenger might work.

John Cochrane BB

It took about 45 seconds to bring up the NTSB aircraft-accident database and search for all reports containing " dog " -- 203 items in 21 pages. No, I've not read them all.

Basically, even a normally well-behaved dog may panic in the strange environment of an aircraft, so dogs, cattle, mice, snakes, spiders, etc. need to be secured in a way that prevents interference with any control or operation of the canopy release or BRS...

Dan Johnson

Imagine transporting an entire sled-dog team in a bush plane! They know how to do it.

Tom

Many moons ago, I was lucky to hitch a right-seat flight in an Antonov AN2. I asked the pilot how many people this thing can haul. He said 'officially, 12 - but in Russia, 19 plus all their goats!'

Uli
'AS'