Old June 21st 04, 05:24 AM

On 19-Jun-2004, " Mark Miller wrote:

I'll likely have to fly (commercial) to look at it, so I'm curious to hear
how people handle that. More than
one trip, I would guess.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Before spending a lot of time and money traveling to see the airplane, why
not have an objective person located nearby have a look? What we did in
this case was arrange for a local mechanic (NOT the one doing regular
maintenance on the plane) spend about an hour looking for obvious problems.
This is NOT an adequate pre-buy, just an initial screening to keep you from
wasting time and money on obvious dogs. A good $60-80 investment.

If the mechanic (or it could be a trusted pilot friend) reports back that
the plane APPEARS to be as advertised, THEN go ahead and arrange for a
thorough pre-buy and/or an in-person inspection.

--
-Elliott Drucker