Old June 29th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
news
muff528 wrote:

Yep, 43° C (109 f.) WOULD be extremely uncomfortable at 3000'. But it
probably not that hot at 3000 if it's 43C on the ground.

Do you fly?

109F on the ground would be at or near 100F at 3,000. That's still hot,
especially with the sun beating on you through the windows.

Yeah, appox 3 degrees per 1000ft would hold up in a homogenous air column.
But I don't think that's necessarily the case everywhere. For example, here
in Florida I have noticed that even in summertime when it's oppressively hot
and humid at the surface, there seems to be an abrupt drop in temperature
around 3000 to 4000 ft. That's the only reason I picked the 3000 ft. number.
Maybe that's not the case in less humid climes. In wintertime (typically
less humid) it just gets colder and colder from the ground up to over 20000
where my experience ends in an unpressurized environment although I've heard
it definitely gets even colder.:-)
If it's still too hot at 3000 feet just go higher till you cool off! You're
in an airplane!

Tony P.