Old February 16th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default SPOT rescue in AOPA magazine

I am removing the members only tag so all can read the article.

All AOPA Pilot articles are available to the public three months after
publishing date of Pilot Magazine.

On Feb 15, 5:10*pm, "BT" wrote:
Thanx Paul..
I'm heading out on a long cross country trip in May..
ASEL Coast to Coast and return.
BT

"Paul Remde" wrote in message

Hi,

Spot has been very proactive about fixing the issues with the SPOT-2
units. They will pay for return shipping for any units purchased before
the recall. The new version of the SPOT-2 units should be available very
soon.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"BT" wrote in message
I've read the article.. very convincing, a strap slot through the back of
the spot case to fit a parachute or seatbelt shoulder strap would be
great.
(they may have one, been a while since I looked)

There were reports of the newer model SPOT having issues..
have those been resolved?

BT

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
The Feb 2010 AOPA Pilot magazine has an article about two pilots rescued
after an airplane crash in Idaho. Each had a SPOT but neither unit was
well secured; fortunately, they were mobile enough to dig through the
wreckage to find and activate them. A medical helicopter landed on the
take off strip about 20 minutes after the accident, then the medical
technicians hiked to the crash site.

My SPOT is mounted with dual grip fasteners on the canopy rail, but I
think I'll make a stronger mount for it. Even if you carry it on your
person, it needs to be secured well enough to take the accident forces.
Being immobilized in the cockpit with SPOT around your feet won't help
any.

The article said about 120,000 units have been sold since it went on
sale. I thought it would be more, but apparently the company is very
happy with the figures. Their new unit is even more attractive at half
the size, and with a better button layout. It would fit on a parachute
more easily, and it likely will have less dropouts with (I assume) a
newer, more sensitive GPS.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Jan/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
tinyurl.com/yg76qo9

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz- Hide quoted text -