Old February 21st 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default HELP -designing new panel

You didn't say what make/model "old plane" but consider
factors...
1. Electrical loads and power available, including backup
battery power;
2. Panel space;
3. Budget
4. Ease of use, system integration.

A quality avionics shop will be able to assist in designing
and fabrication of a new panel and do a proper electrical
system survey. Also, you will want to consider other
systems, such as pneumatic and the engine in general.

You might want to get the rating before you finalize the new
panel, you'll have a better idea of what and where to spend
your money.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"freestone" wrote
in message ...

| I am new to IFR (pilot a long time just working on rating
now, not sure
| how much I will use it but hope too).
|
| I am restoring an old plane and doing a completely new
panel, which I
| need to spec out in about 6 months.
|
| I would like to keep the plane light, but still...
|
| I need some help in deciding whether to get a 530 with a
backup 430 -
| or something else. Maybe the 480 though I have seen the
debates.

| Perhaps a mx20 or Avidyne 500?
|
| What about an HSI for the panel? sandel?
|
| One thing I really do want is an active tcas and a display
that i can
| instantly identify target location on.
|
| I will also add a stec autopilot.
|
| What would you put in? I don't have that much space. A
530 would fit
| in the center below the throttle quadrant, but any other
nav/comm would
| go on the right side of the plane. In liu of a 530, I
could put a mx20
| like box in the center, but the nav/comm would need to be
on the right