Old December 22nd 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rich

Default Tanis heaters

cpw wrote:
I live in northern lower Michigan where we have real winters some years
(not this one yet). My partner and I own a 2000 Cessna 182. We are
currently debating the proper use of the Tanis engine heater. It has
been our practice in the past to plug the heater in after a flight and
leave it plugged in until the next. We have heard lately that best
practice is to only use the heater for a few hours prior to flight.
Any opinions among other owners in cold climes?
Thanks. CPW

This is a "hot" topic (grin) and you will get strong opinions on both sides.

I belong to the 'church' that says you can't get condensation if the
engine stays warmer than the ambient temperature. Had a discussion with
John Deakin who believes this is correct, as well. I plug mine in after
flight and open up the oil filler tube (IO520) to allow any humid air to
escape the engine.

Others believe that leaving the heater on all the time will promote
corrosion brought about by changes in the ambient temperature. Both
Tanis and Reiff do not recommend leaving it on all the time.

I have several airport friends that have rigged up devices to turn
theirs on and off with a cell phone timing device.

Perhaps a factor is what kind of winters your plane must endure. What's
right for Michigan may be wrong for Tennessee.

Rich
SE Michigan