Old June 22nd 05, 05:32 PM
For Example John Smith

"the resulting squatcheloid assymetry"?
What the heck is that?
Anything like the yeti dihedral?

wrote in message
ups.com...
KC, yup.

I wonder at the thread though. Everyone discussing recognition of a
fully developed spin versus spiral dive.

Years ago, Al Blackburn pointed out to me that long span gliders need
to be treated gingerly at speed. His concern had to do with the
application of aileron during dive recovery. While he felt that most
pilots could manage the elevator to avoid structural damage, aileron
asymmetry (and the resulting squatcheloid assymetry) presented a
complicating factor. The longer the span, the more critical its
effects. Add a partial load of water, a yaw moment, and/or spoiler caps
deploying with wing bend and it's not hard to see how things might
quickly get to the breaking point.