Old May 2nd 05, 10:56 PM

A rotating finish line would address the problem: it would be centered
on a point on or near the airport, and would rotate normal to the final
leg of the declared task (assumes the use of a steering TP for MATs).
If it were 1 sm in diameter, it would give ample space for separation
as well as giving the CD and CM latitude in defining no fly zones on
the airport such as the active runway and grandstands, tie downs,
picnic areas, etc.

Perhaps your experiences have been different, but the finish line
accidents (as opposed to incidents) I've seen typically did not involve
traffic. They were something closer to system shut down after crossing
the line, as if stopping the task clock was a reason to stop piloting
the aircraft. By and large, most pilots do not finish into oncoming
traffic on final. We prefer one side or the other. But I suppose
there's always the odd arrival...

Another excercise, just as valuable, would be to better define the
parameters of the rolling finish. We should reduce or eliminate
penalties for good judgement. Any safe landing on the airport should
always be considered a good finish. And most of all, we need to answer
any pilot's request for information... the practice of admonishing
pilots for asking what the finish direction is keeps those in ignorance
from curing themselves before they cross the finish line... in the
wrong direction!

OC