Old March 2nd 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rustynuts

Default Cobra Trailer - U.S. Axle?

Mitch wrote:
I would like to hear from some people who have put an American axle
underneath their Cobra trailers. I have a early 80's Cobra, and a
wheel-hub with a chip in it that will no longer hold the grease seal
properly. I am thinking of simply switching to a U.S. undercarriage,
and would like to know if anyone has done this. If so, how much did
it cost, and are you happy with it?

Also, I have heard rumors about a "Junkyard" of sorts out in
California somewhere that buys the trailers from wrecked gliders from
the insurance companies. Has anyone else heard of this?

-EX

Dexter axel makes an electric brake 2200 lb. axel that I put on my
1989 cobra works nice.
About $480. Electric is optional they have a web site. You do have
to get U.S. wheels about
$30. If you do this order high mount this is a 2" rise I made the
mistake of getting the
low or no rise and had to weld angle iron to get the needed rise. I do
like this set up.