Old May 2nd 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo Charlie

Default Most amusing land out

Flying my Pegasus out of Mid-Atlantic Soaring in Fairfield, PA I found
myself low over some very hilly territory in Virginia at the base of the
ridge. I managed to make it into a small uphill field noting on final that
there was a large resort looking type of house on the property.

After securing the glider from rolling back down the hill I walked over to
the house which had a very large front door. My knock was answered by a man
in long robes. At that point I was sure I had entered the Twilight
Zone.....I mean it was Virginia afterall. Turns out it was a Franciscan
Monastery. They fortuntely had a phone (no cells in that day) so I called
the wife to come get me. One of the monks was fascinated with the idea of
flying gliders and while I derigged he asked my glider pilot wife many
questions. They became good friends and still exchange mail often. It was
good for yearly fruitcakes as well! He even snuck out one day so that my
wife could give take him for a glider flight. It was like watching a kid on
their first ride.

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix