Old November 25th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

Default Transponder problems with ATC COMS - Video

On Nov 24, 11:38*pm, "BT" wrote:

I'm somewhat surprised, if the pilot is part owner and flies this aircraft
regularly, she does not know the operation of her transponder. She can
select STBY, ALT and put in the code, but she does not understand it's
operation.
A nice thing about those transponders.. the VFR button will automatically
load 1200.

Thanks BT for the informative posts. My plane doesn't have all this
fancy gagetry, so I was literally winging it on a prayer and things
just didn't add up in my head, thus shutting the Xponder off..

With all the nuances of learning how to fly, learning how to own a
plane, it does not surprise me she didn't know the operation of her
transponder. Her "lesson" was set it and forget it OR let it do
everything automatically.

If you think about it, at least for me, even in my flight lessons, I
never got any instructions on how to operate the transponder other
then coding in the numbers or doing "one button operations". Never
once was I ever shown how to stop Mode C operations.