Old January 13th 05, 01:40 AM
John Alger

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:55:31 -0500, "Bob McKellar"
wrote:

My grandfather, Naval Aviator #711, told me about standing up in the cockpit
and peeing over the side of his plane.

That would also indicate he was designated between 1911 and 1919.
During those years 2834 Naval Aviators were designated. It also means
he likely flew a good variety of very interesting aircraft.

One of my instructors at Embry-Riddle in the early 70's - Carl Brown -
would regale us with tales of conversations with the likes of Loening,
the Wrights, Donald Douglas, and other noteables of early US Aviation
History (the subject of the class). He was a Naval Aviator, flew
F-6F's with VF-27 and participated in the "Marianas Turkey Shoot". We
never could figure out how much (if any) of his tales were BS, but
since he was about 70 at the time, it was not improbable he actually
did everything he said. Colorful character - and very proud of the
fact he still held a 1st Class Medical certificate!

J W Alger USNR(ret) 1310/1325
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B