Old July 16th 03, 11:24 PM
Peter R.

Default East Hampton (Long Island, NY) airport weather?

Yesterday I flew down to East Hampton (KHTO) airport for the first time.
With approach plates in front of me, I was preparing for my arrival when
NY Approach called to ask if I had the weather at HTO.

Scanning my Jeppesen approach plates a second time, I knew that there
was no AWOS/ASOS (it is an uncontrolled airport) frequency, so what were
they talking about?

I responded with a request for the frequency and was given 122.8 (I
think, please correct me if this wrong), which is different than the
UNICOM freq. So I tuned it expecting to hear an AWOS/ASOS-type
automated recording. Nothing... it was quiet.

So, now what? Do I make a call? If so, who do I call?

Within a minute or so I had what appeared to be my answer. Another
aircraft called "Sound Aircraft, Piper xxx, landing East Hampton,
request current weather and altimeter."

Later I was told that this airport uses a live weather observer during
the day, a rare treat in this new millennium. Unfortunately, I was
unaware of this type of weather retrieval and did not see this
information in the AF/D. Where do I look to find this unique weather
information for other airports that also use a live observer so that in
the future I am better prepared?

--
Peter