Old October 17th 04, 04:47 AM
Dave in San diego

"Yofuri" wrote in
:

I don't recall any published instructions or edicts, but I recall it
becoming the accepted form in the Navy between 1970 and 1975. Before,
E-6 and below were addressed by last name, CPO's as Chief, Senior
Chief or Master Chief, and officers up to LCDR were Mister.

The fastest way for a sailor to ruin his day was to address a Marine,
Army or Air Force officer as "Mister", though.

Rick

"Jack & Bev Biagini" wrote in message
In watching JAG over the last few years, these lawyer types address
Petty Officers as Petty Officer "So and So". I had a "Crow" on my
sleeve for 2 years and was never addressed as Petty Officer, nor did
I ever hear anyone else called a Petty Officer.
Of course this was back in the late 50's when female sailors were
"Waves". Is this the new and improved Navy or is it just the
blackshoes?

By the time I retired in '89, last name only was out. Petty Officer by
itself, or Petty Officer [Schmuckatelli] were the "approved" forms of
address. The Marines at the gates at Miramar address everyone who comes
through by their rank - when I go through, it's "Good
morning/afternoon/evening Petty Officer", cuz they read it right off my
retired ID card. It was a little odd at first, but now I just say thank
you.

Dave in San Diego