Old March 7th 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Why the cool kids do it....

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 8:24:06 PM UTC-6, Bruce Hoult wrote:

The "Speed Gliding" proximity folks are regularly using rolls to give them a second or so (per roll) of effectively 0 G trajectory to follow terrain dropoffs down. I think some of them are even pausing inverted to get more downward acceleration, in the same way that jet fighter pilots do, while maintaining positive G to the pilot and canopy.

https://vimeo.com/108395176

Wow - I'm officially impressed! I didn't even really know there was a "speed gliding" category of paragliding (although it was on Top Gear a few years ago" - I assume they are not suitable for soaring?

Anyway - I stand corrected on the loops and rolls, and learned something.

BTW, jet fighters are accelerated by unloading to the angle of attack and g-load that produces the least drag - which isn't always zero g; in the F-15 it actually varies from "light in the seat" to several +G at high speed, due to the big, cambered wing. In the F-4 we just unloaded until it got dusty in cockpit and went for it!

Cheers,

Kirk