Old March 8th 15, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Villinski

Default Why the cool kids do it....

Here's another beautifully made video by JB Chandelier -- this one of a bunch of cool Euro kids playing in the snow, some with nylon wings, doing extreme things, extremely skillfully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b54BJfHqrmw
I don't know about anyone else, but this wakes up something in my soul and makes me want to go out and play, too. Like sailplane pilots, these kind of "action-adventure" kids are a miniscule and rare subset of society, and that's part of what makes them cool.
I think the success of the video is how well it communicates the sheer fun and the joy the participants are experiencing. It's kind of an invitation to wake up and live. I also think sailplanes are extremely fun -- that's why I log a lot more hours in my sailplane than in my paraglider these days -- but I can't find a single video out there that does for soaring what this little film does for paragliding and speed flying, and I wish I could...if only to share a glimpse of our sport with a few friends.