Old September 7th 04, 04:52 PM
Howard Nelson

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...
john smith wrote in news:Cgh%c.81922$cT6.12543
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

For those of you using handheld GPS's when you fly IFR:

Do you use the throttle to increase/decrease power to match the ground
speed to the approach speed table so the time is correct to the MAP?

I really, really, really would recommend flying an airspeed under all
circumstances.

Do you use the distance to the airport to determine/verify the MAP, even
though the time may not have expired?

Legally your IFR approved clock for timed approaches and NDB for NDB
approaches are what you WILL use. Rationally if my clock or NDB disagreed
with my GPS and I had to make a choice I would trust the GPS.

Along the same GPS train of thought. Try (under VFR with safety pilot)
flying partial panel using "wet" compass and then fly same maneuvers using
the "pseudo" panel on your GPS. Which is easier? Which is more accurate?

I can understand the FAA wanting to avoid a free for all by regulating GPS
usage so carefully. But each pilot, if faced with conflicting data, needs to
decide which technology they trust their life to. The best way to do that is
lots of practice under VFR checking clock vs. GPS, NDB vs. GPS, VOR vs. GPS,
Localizer vs. GPS and make up your own mind.

Also if you are not a renter you might consider spending 15-20K for an IFR
certified GPS linked to your autopilot.

Cheers
Howard
C182P