Old July 12th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Imagine...

john smith wrote:
Dudley, if I recall correctly, Bill Fornof's accident was a truely rare
and odd event. I think I recall reading an after accident report that
the crash was the result of Bill flying through an intense micro-burst
which broke the main spar. The amazing thing was that Corky, flying a
very short distance away was totally unaffected.
Is my recallection correct?

This is basically what I believe happened. Cork said they came out of a
loop together and suddenly Bill was just gone. He said it was over in an
instant.
Post accident engineers came up with a huge g load on Bill's wing as I
recall.

There has been some "talk" through the years about a proposed wing
switch that was allegedly in the works between Bill's airplane (7700C)
and another Cat that hadn't been done yet at the time of the accident,
but I've never asked Cork about it.
The Micro burst theory does carry validity with me, as I think I hit one
myself once during a low altitude exit from a vertical maneuver. It was
quite a "hit".
Dudley Henriques