Old November 20th 03, 08:24 PM
Jeff

I think my new aduio panel was about the same price as the garmin, if not then
only a couple of dollars difference. Its also alot thinner the garmin one was.
The ISO mode of the PSE audio panel also will mute the radio for the pilot but
it will play for everyone else. With my garmin panel, the ISO didnt work this
way for some reason.

Yes I was listening to star 107.??
The radio works better then the VOR, we have some mountains, around 7000 ft,
between vegas and havasu, I lost the vor signal for needles but never lost the
radio signal. Sunday I go up with my commericial instructor to do some
approaches into the los angeles area, he is going to show me how to do
instrument approaches with the garmin 430 I had installed also. My last 430
didnot have an MSA data box (min safe alt), but this one does. pretty nice
feature but it seems it has a pretty wide area for its MSA.

"Tom S." wrote:

PSE charges a (apparent) premium that is well worth it.

I take it you were listening to an FM station? In the White Mountains north
of Phoenix (Overgaard) I can get a few of the Phoenix FM stations in the
car. That is 113 miles from the transmitter on Phoenix South Mountain.
Overgaard is about 6650 feet MSL.

FM signals are line of sight, so from altitude, you should be able to pick
it up about as far as a VOR signal.

On the other hand, I regularly listen to KOA in Denver (a 50Kw AM station)
after midnight from a clock radio on the headboard of our bed.