Old February 28th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default 304 versus Discus B

At 23:08 28 February 2017, Del Jensen wrote:
Two gliders have caught my eye; 304 with minden trailer and Discus B with
K=
omet. Both about the same hours, roughly same age, 30k vs. 36k.

I'm getting back into soaring after a twenty year break. I've got about
12=
0hrs, a fair number of those hours in a Glasflugel 401. I'm big, but
dropp=
ing weight (6' 240lbs, 64yrs). Glider would be based south of Phoenix,

so
=
I'm hoping to keep the ship assembled under all weather covers, covers to
b=
e replaced every couple of years. I take it the Discus is hot and sexy
(fo=
r its age), but the 304 pulls at my heart strings.

Any advice/observations on the gliders and suitability for a low time fat
b=
oy would be gratefully received. Also comments on keeping the machine
unde=
r all weather covers year round. Also, would type of trailer tip the
balan=
ce in your opinion?

P.S. If I can find hanger space, I'll buy it.

The discus can be a little snug for fat boys,but you don't need covers you
can
rig in 10 minutes without effort,
There is a video on YouTube of one being rigged and launched to 1000ft in
less than 2 minutes
Never flown 304 but reported larger cockpit and less twitchy
Buy something and fly ,it's later than you think.