Old February 27th 04, 03:05 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
Subject: If yiu didn't fight in WW II.....
From: (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN)
Date: 2/27/04 1:53 AM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
ArtKramr wrote:
If you didn't fight in WW II do you feel as though your had missed

something?
Do you feel that given your druthers you'd rather have been there than not?

Any
regrets at having missed it? Anyone?

That said, my parents' generation were faced with either doing something
about a truely horrible threat (though without knowing - then - quite
how horrible it was) or having to live under it. If I'd been faced with
the same situation I can only hope I might have done as well. I'm not
sure I would, but then maybe neither were they. I'm very glad to have been
spared that.

Very thoughtful post Andy. Many I have heard from over the last 60 years
expressed pretty much what you did. It often just starts with they wished they
had been there with us. It was a war worth fighting and their lives would have

Thanks for the feedbacck, Art. It's something I've been thinking about
more than usual recently - my father having been very seriously ill
over the last week (he's almost completely recovered now - like many
of his generation he's a tough guy, in spite of having had a tough time).

Hope you won't mind me making a suggestion - I've been following the
accounts you've been putting up on your web-space (fascinating stuff):
Have you considered offering them to one of the archives for long-term
preservation (not that I'm not hoping you'll be with us for many years to
come!). The 2nd World War Experience Centre seems to be a rather good one,
and they are on the look-out for a larger US presence there.

http://www.war-experience.org/

I had some dealings with them when they put some stuff of my father's
up on the site - editing it into shape and so on - and they seemed
very good.

It's important that the next generation knows just what your generation
went through - and what they did for us.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/