Old July 25th 03, 11:52 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article ,
says...
Tom..
Why would you choose to transfer from normal to low
tow...just say below propwash from the start...always
done it ..always taught it..NEVER had a problem..why
endanger your mate in the tow plane?

We don't do it, we don't teach it, and we have had problems!

I can't speak for Tom, but here's why we don't do what you suggest in
our area: we often have enough wind shear in the first 200 feet
that this technique will lead to the tow plane slowing down rapidly
(compared to the glider and the ground) in the faster moving air above
the low glider. It can be particularly bad in the winter, with calm
winds on the ground, and 20 knots only 200' agl. In those conditions,
it is very important for the glider to climb off the runway level with
the towplane. A few hundred feet up, a low tow can be safely
established.

--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)