Old July 12th 13, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Orval Fairbairn

Default Asiana 777 at SFO

In article ,
birdog wrote:

Full disclosure - I am an 86 year old ex pilot,but my soul is still in
the cockpit. Don't know how pertinent this is, but I got a lot of free
time nowadays.

Back in the late '60's we had a flying club - 3 planes including a 7AC
Champ. An airline pilot temporarily stationed locally joined the club.
The club instructor checked him out in the Champ (his only interest). On
inquiry by the instructor, he was told that he felt that over time his
basic "pilotage" skills eroded, that sitting in a "boxcar" staring at an
instrument panel did not constitute staying sharp as a pilot. He was an
infrequent visitor due to job demands, but he spent his time, according
to the instructor, flying dual under the hood recovering from unusual
attitudes and navigating using only needle, ball, airspeed and magnetic
compass. (That's all the old Champ had.) Otherwise, he was shooting
landings, performing lazy eights, etc. Having no experience in
commercial craft myself, I couldn't relate to his logic, but was
impressed with his attitude.

Not sure how this relates to the topic, but there it is.

Pretty much on topic, but combine it with a lack of understanding of
basic airmanship and younhave a recipe for disaster.