Old June 21st 05, 09:31 PM
Jay Honeck

I've had radar facilities chase me down after I've lost comms with them
during VFR FF. They want to make sure they didn't lose you and
something bad happened to you (like you crashed). Just consider it
an extra service.

It is a required service. If they lose you unexpectedly ATC is required
to start a search. In Jay's case he was cruising merrily along, asked
to switch to Flight Watch and then disappeared. Meanwhile Center is
watching Jay descend and can't get a hold of him. Pretty soon he drops
off radar. So call the most likely spot, the airport. If the manager
wouldn't have found him then SAR would have been started.

Thanks for the clarification.

It's nice to know that the guys manning the Big Eye in the Sky are
watching out for us more carefully than I previously believed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA