Old June 21st 05, 11:01 PM
Chris G.

The local FSDO helped me quite a bit in finding the references I need.
Look in FAA Order 7110.65 Para. 10-2-5 (2b). I've quoted it for your
convenience and the link is provided. It references Jay's specific
situation.
http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/ATC/Chp10/atc1002.html#10-2-5

Chris G.

10-2-5. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS
Consider that an aircraft emergency exists and inform the RCC or ARTCC
and alert the appropriate DF facility when:
NOTE-
1. USAF facilities are only required to notify the ARTCC.
2. The requirement to alert DF facilities may be deleted if radar
contact will be maintained throughout the duration of the emergency.
a. An emergency is declared by either:
1. The pilot.
2. Facility personnel.
3. Officials responsible for the operation of the aircraft.
b. There is unexpected loss of radar contact and radio
communications with any IFR or VFR aircraft.
c. Reports indicate it has made a forced landing, is about to do
so, or its operating efficiency is so impaired that a forced landing
will be necessary.
d. Reports indicate the crew has abandoned the aircraft or is about
to do so.
e. An emergency radar beacon response is received.
NOTE-
EN ROUTE. During Stage A operation, Code 7700 causes EMRG to blink
in field E of the data block.
f. Intercept or escort aircraft services are required.
g. The need for ground rescue appears likely.
h. An Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) signal is heard or reported.
REFERENCE-
FAAO 7110.65, Providing Assistance, Para 10-1-3.
FAAO 7110.65, Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) Signals, Para
10-2-10.

Chris G. wrote:
I have placed a call to the local FSDO for the exact regulations
governing this, but I speak from experience, having been a State SAR
Coordinator backup for the State of Oregon a few years ago.

Chris

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote in message
eenews.net...

The way the SAR system works is that once the FAA has radar contact
with you and are providing radar services, they will continue to do
so unless they are unable (due to lack of radar coverage) or you
cancel them. If you fall below their radar coverage while utilizing
their services, then they begin the SAR process.

I have never seen any documentation of this claim, for VFR aircraft.
My understanding is that the scenario in this thread was motivated
solely at the discretion of the controller, that there is no automatic
search and rescue for abnormally terminated flight following, and that
only a VFR flight plan guarantees a search and rescue attempt for
missing VFR flights.

Can you provide a reference to something that supports the idea that
airplanes getting VFR flight following are given automatic search and
rescue if they somehow are "lost" from the controller (either radio or
radar contact lost)?

Thanks,
Pete