Old July 5th 05, 11:04 PM
Doug

Default Outfly the wind

Although it may SEEM like there is always a headwind both ways, a good
pilot can usually figure out ways to outfly the wind. The biggest tool
in the pilots arsenal is choosing altitude. I fly east from Colorado, I
climb to catch the tailwinds. I fly west and usually the strategy is
fly fairly low (1000' AGL or so) and avoid the strong headwind. I can
also choose the time of day to fly. Winds tend to increase in velocity
as the day goes on. Flying into a headwind? Plan an early start. There
is, of course, a statistical disadvantage to flying and winds. The way
to understand this is envison flying due north in a plane with 100 knot
cruise speed. If there is a wind from due west, one has to crab into
the wind. Turn around and fly due south, and with the wind still from
the due west, you have the same crab into the wind, truly creating
"headwinds both ways". The faster the airplane, the less the effect, so
it is difficult to say just how much of a disadvantage we are at
(although it would be an interesting problem to solve for any of you
mathmaticians out there assume a 120 knot airplane and 20 knot west to
east wind, and equally random direction routes). Bonus points for the
correct answer!

Then there is the decision on whether to divert to the north or south
around a low on an east west trip. Usually the winds around the low
will rotate counterclockwise so north is the winner, if all else is
equal (which it seldom is).

Another difficult problem is to decide if it is worth the climb to
catch a tailwind. Call Fligh****ch and get the forecast winds and then
have fun trying to decide if it's worth it to climb 4000' to catch a 10
knot tailwind for a one hour flight. It usually is, but as they say,
your milage may vary. As an aside comment, it is almost never worth it
to climb in zero wind if your are seeking the fastest speed between two
points, because you never can make up your lost time climbing by
lowering the nose and speeding down (although it may be fun trying).

I have flown east west north and south from my home base in Colorado,
and although I can't proove it, I believe I have, overall, made the
wind to my advantage. Thank goodness the tradewinds from west to east
coincide with the time zone changes giving me that extra hour or two a
day. If it was the other way around, I dunno what I'd do!!

I'm sure there are other outfly the wind tricks, feel free to chime in
with your favs.

Fly safe!