Old May 19th 04, 03:08 AM
Leadfoot

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message
news

"Leadfoot" wrote in message
news:Chpqc.69469$Fl5.45597@okepread04...
http://tinyurl.com/2ejag

96 tons of water!!!!!

How would you maintain the cog within stability requirements during a full
offload? Short bursts followed by redistributing what remains, or a full
dump feed from a central wing box/fuselage tank?

The 747-400 initial flight test COG test was done with a water ballast
system. When the engineers wanted to try a differnt COG in flight they just
pumped water to where they needed it. Sure beats the old method of having
flight test techs move sand bags around They never dumped any of the water
during flight test to my knowledge but I'm sure they used a lot of the
experience gained in this project

Has this much been dropped by another aircraft, if so how'd they manage

it?
Was it a dedicated aircraft, designed from day one to have such a
capability?

Its a classic version of the 747 which Boeing stopped making in 1990.

Jim