Old April 22nd 05, 12:44 AM
mindenpilot

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message
news:KmU9e.2946$Xg.1033@okepread02...

"mindenpilot" wrote in message

Also, if the weather is VFR, there is nothing stopping us VFR pilots from
filing an IFR flight plan and flying in, as long as we maintain VFR.
This would further add to the congestion.

Well, nothing except the FARs 61.3
(e) Instrument rating. No person may act as pilot in command of a civil
aircraft under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums
prescribed for VFR flight unless that person holds:

It looks like the FAR you listed specifically says "IFR" or "weather less
than VFR".
If the weather is VFR (as I stated) then you only need a safety pilot, who
does not need to be instrument rated.
Otherwise, how do you train for IFR? Always have an instrument rated safety
pilot?

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III