Old June 6th 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Towplane-Baron accident

The US has 11 million good reasons to file an appeal, but I don't know if they did before the filing deadline.

Radio transmissions commonly go unheard. Receivers on the ground (or anywhere else) only pick up what gets to the antenna.

On a practice instrument approach, there might be only a "beacon outbound" call. Even with a "beacon inbound" call, the plate shows a final approach time of 3:28 at 90 kt; 2:36 at 120 kt from FAF to Map some 5 nm from the threshold.

That's lots of of time for folks on the ground to lose track that there's traffic to the intersecting runway or conjecture that it's come and gone.

The towplane could have been shut down with the radio off until the hookup was done. There could have been plenty of time between the last transmission from the Baron to when the towplane had its radio on. The NTSB did not discuss this in the report; so we only have conjecture.