Old June 13th 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

Default Grand Teton Crash

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 8:43:33 AM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
So sorry to read about this accident.
Does anyone know about the weather conditions at the time of the accident?
I'm curious if it was windy or stormy.

The NTSB report that came out on the Glider Bob Saunders accident in Telluride Colorado put the blame on the strong summertime stormy weather.
Apparently he was overpowered by a collapsing storm cell above him. They indicated they found nothing wrong with his Stemme motorglider.

Nick,

The day and time glider Bob went in, Loy and I were in Aztec and observed what I thought must have been the most intense / tallest OD I had ever seen over the San Jans, and figured it was probably between Purgatory and Telluride, thinking I was sure glad I wasn't flying there then. When we heard of the crash, I felt pretty sure Bob must have hit a severe downdraft shear. I'd feel a pretty good guess would be sudden down wind shear in this latest crash.
19